All this lovely weather we have been having has made me really want to spend more time outside. Sadly I have so much work to do that I barley get to see the sun. However, this gives me time when I am not doing my homework or having a mental breakdown to think about all the fun things I can do in Minnesota all year round.
So for my post today I am going to list a few of my favorite things I love to do in Minnesota during the spring and summer time. Since I am working a lot and now have an internship lined up for this summer I probably wont be able to do much of this stuff this year but I can still dream about it can’t I?
First I will start with the activities that can be done in both the spring (when the snow has finally melted) and summer time and then move into the activities that can be done mainly in the summer time. So lets get started!
- Go to the Zoo
- All though they are usually open all year round, the parts that are outside reopen as soon as spring gets here.
- Visit the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden and the Minneapolis Institute of Art (Both are FREE!)
- These places are open all year round as all but the garden is the best to visit in the spring and summer (it is pretty gorgeous in the fall as well). Everyone needs to see the Cherry and Spoon sculpture at least once in their life.
- Watch/play outdoors sports
- This can be from something as simple as playing tag with some friends to going to a Twins game. Either way its one of the best parts of spring and summer since you get to be outside and enjoying not being cooped up inside anymore.
- Enjoy the outdoors in general
- Such as biking, rollerblading, skateboarding/long boarding, etc. Just being outside and enjoying the weather is a great thing to do in Minnesota when there isn’t snow on the ground.
- Go to an Amusement park/Water park
- There are plenty of amusement parks and water parks inside but during the summer time the outdoor places are where its at.
- Visit state parks/nature areas
- Some of my favorite places include: the state parks in Duluth, Baker park (in Maple Plain, MN), Minnehaha falls and the boundary waters.
- Spend a day (or two) on the lake
- With so many lakes around Minnesota there are endless places to go with endless things to do. Some of these activities include: fishing, tubing, swimming, waterskiing, wake boarding, jet skiing and just cruising around the lake. The possibilities are endless!
- Go to a Music in the Park/Movie in the Park event
- There are plenty that go on throughout the summer. I will include a list of locations, dates and times of some of the events in the links below.
- Go to the Minnesota State Fair/County Fairs
- This one is a must! If you don’t go to your county fair you should at least go to the state fair for a day. It will definitely be a day full of fun and delicious food (that is most likely not good for you). Besides you can see some pretty cool animals like draft horses :).
- Go to the Renaissance Festival
- If you love anything and everything about the Renaissance time period this the event for you. Surround yourself with the great food, dance and culture of that time period. You can get great souvenirs and even dress up like you are from the Renaissance or as something magical like a fairy.
These are just a few of the things I love to do in Minnesota around the spring and summer time. I don’t know about you guys but I am pretty excited for summer to get here. Even though I wont be able to do most of the stuff on this list because I am super busy I love thinking about it. Its the only thing getting me through all of the stuff I still need to do before school ends.
What are some of the things you guys love to do in the spring and summer? I would love to hear what they are! Any great memories or fun stories? What would you add to this list? Let me know!
Also, stay tuned for the second part of the list which is about some of the stuff I love to do in the fall and winter around Minnesota.
http://blogs.citypages.com/dressingroom/2012/07/50_fun_things_to_do_in_minnesota.php (50 fun things to do in Minnesota)
http://www.midwestliving.com/travel/minnesota/20-top-things-to-do-minnesota/ (20 top things to do in Minnesota)
https://www.minneapolisparks.org/activities__events/music__movies/ (Music/movies in the park times, dates and locations)